Out of clutter, find simplicity. From discord, find harmony. In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.
– Albert Einstein
Good news! Today’s the day that you can bin all of those anti-bacterial wipes and sprays. There’s a better way to clean your kitchen and bathroom, and you only need one thing to do it: distilled white vinegar.
Distilled white vinegar gets rid of bad smells in an instant, it cuts through grease with ease, and it can be used to clean just about anything you can think of! Best of all, it’s totally safe for consumption, so you don’t need to worry about any little hands finding it. Read on for our favourite vinegar-based tips and tricks that you can try in your kitchen and bathroom today.
1. Grill: scrunch some aluminium foil into a ball and spray it with distilled white vinegar. Scrub the dried-on dirt away with ease.
2. Counter tops: add one part distilled white vinegar to three parts water and wipe across counters for easy dirt-removal.
3. Sponges and cloths: put sponges and cloths in the washing-up bowl and cover with water. Add 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar to the bowl, and leave them to soak overnight.
4. Can opener: use a toothbrush dipped in distilled white vinegar to remove old dirt and stains with ease.
5. Extractor fan: soak a sponge in distilled white vinegar. Wipe down fans and anything else that grease builds up on, such as your oven.
6. Fridge: mix 1/2 water and 1/2 distilled white vinegar together. Wipe down fridge walls and shelves for stain removal and a fresh, clean smell.
7. Microwave: mix 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar with 1/2 cup water in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave until the mixture is boiling, then simply wipe the grime off!
8. Drain: pour 1 cup baking soda on the drain, followed by 1 cup of hot distilled white vinegar. Leave for a few minutes, then wash away the mixture hot water.
9. Hardwood floors: mix 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar with 1 gallon water and clean as normal.
10. Plastic tupperware/lunchboxes: get rid of nasty smells simply by wiping plastic items down with a cloth dampened with distilled white vinegar.
11. Dishwasher: put 1 cup of distilled white vinegar in the dishwasher and run for a whole cycle.
12. Washing machine: put 1 cup of distilled white vinegar in the machine and run it for a full cycle (without your clothes!).
1. Shower head: secure a plastic bag filled with distilled white vinegar over the shower head with an elastic band. Leave overnight, take off then use a toothbrush to get rid of any excess grime.
2. Bath toys: mix 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar with 1 gallon of warm water. Soak toys for 10 minutes then rinse.
3. Toilet: spray distilled white vinegar directly into the toilet and scrub with a toilet brush to get rid of stains.
4. Soap scum: mix 1 part salt with 4 parts distilled white vinegar, and wipe areas down where soap scum builds up, such as on your taps.
5. Shower doors: wipe doors with a cloth dipped in distilled white vinegar (works for windows too!).
6. No-wax floors: mix 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar with 1 gallon water and clean as normal.
7. Drain: pour 1 cup baking soda on the drain, followed by 1 cup of hot distilled white vinegar. Leave for a few minutes, then wash away the mixture hot water.
Want to learn more?
Check out the sources we used to compile this list: